These two games have quite a following across the globe, and are for sure great games in their own right. A lot have been asking and confusing the two, but there are inherent differences. Here are a few points of comparison:
- DOTA resets your single character every time you play, while WOW is an exploration game that hinges on getting to know the world you’re playing in and leveling. In DOTA, you play with 5 other players and each games lasts from 30 to 60 minutes.
- WOW is a game of time and items. The longer you play and the more items you have, the stronger you have and the more you collect items in your arsenal. DOTA, on the other hand, is a game of strategy and skill. In DOTA, players fight and die so fast that the team who plays with the best strategy wins.
- WOW is the better game to play if you want an immersive game and getting to explore different worlds and having adventures. It is also great in building your character and connecting with different players around the world. DOTA makes you start from scratch at every game and is good for those who prefer a competitive game.
- WOW is an expansive game where you have to build your world around you. It’s much like real life, and you get attached to your character and the game world comes alive. DOTA is a little like a micro-WOW, where you get to choose pre-set characters and play them for short bursts of time.
- DOTA is not for casual players, as it requires skill to for it to be worthwhile. You can get wiped out of the game if you don’t have enough skill, so it requires a lot of effort and practice. WOW is more beginner-friendly and allows you time to improve and build your character in order to be stronger and more competitive.
The fundamental difference between the two games is that DOTA is a combat game that focuses on strategy whilst WOW is an exploration game that builds and connects players. It all boils down to what kind of experience you are looking for in a game.